Ad ID: 1443
Added: July 27, 2018
State: Region Hovedstaden
Phone: +45 44 88 95 95
Veterinary medicines include any medicine that is used for animals, whether it is sold over-the-counter or on prescription.
We authorise veterinary medicines and impose requirements in a number of areas:
1) the manufacturing process must meet applicable standards,
2) the medicines must be of high quality,
3) the medicines must be acceptably safe,
4) the effect must be satisfactory,
5) the impact on the environment must be as low as possible,
6) veterinary medicines may be manufactured only at companies monitored continuously by the drug regulatory
Veterinary medicines fall under the Danish Medicines Act:
In Denmark, veterinary medicines are regulated by the Danish Medicines Act. This also applies to medicines for use in animals such as aquarium fish or other pets.
Products for animals are categorised as medicines if they fall under the definition of section 2 of the Danish Medicines Act, i.e.
if the products are either to be used to prevent or treat a disease and/or of they have a pharmaceutical effect.
Examples are products that contain antibiotic or antiparasitic medications whose purpose is to treat infections in animals.
The Danish Medicines Agency and the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration have established a task force on medicines for production animals, which is to unite and coordinate the authorities’ food safety and animal welfare activities.